Sunday, March 20, 2011

It's All About Pattie Brooks!

With Producer Rick Gianatos
All Photos:  Alan Mercer    Lighting: Eric V.

Pattie Brooks is most frequently referred to as a disco diva, but she is much more of a total entertainer. She was born in Fort Riley, Kansas to a military family. Her first break came in 1968 when she auditioned for the chorus on 'The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.' In the next decade she became a sought-after backing singer, appearing on the Bobby Darin Show and touring with, among others Ann-Margret.

Around this time she came to the attention of disco producer Simon Soussan and her solo recording career began. Her first of four albums on the Casablanca label was 1977's 'Love Shook' and the whole album peaked at #2 on the US Dance Chart.

Pattie remained with Soussan and in 1978 recorded her biggest club hit, 'After Dark.' This cut was on the soundtrack to the film 'Thank God It's Friday' and as the soundtrack topped the club play charts, Pattie's contribution was up there with friend Donna Summer's 'Last Dance' as the most celebrated tracks.

'After Dark' was the mainstay of Pattie's second album 'Our Ms Brooks.' In 1979 Pattie released her third album 'Party Girl' produced by Bunny Sigler. The result was a far more varied album that encompasses funk, pop and a big ballad as well as pure disco.

In 1979 Pattie branched out from disco by singing "Close Enough For Love", the title song to the Vanessa Redgrave movie 'Agatha.' Pattie's fourth and last Casablanca album 'Pattie Brooks' is a pop-soul affair, produced by Michael "Love" Smith.

Today Pattie has been working with Rick Gianatos to create some new studio magic with her latest release 'It's All About The Music.' This song is amazing!

AM: Pattie, I absolutely love your new song! Do you just love it?

PB: I absolutely love it!!! I'm having so much fun! Everything that's happening with it is great. The back-up singers are the best and I told Rick, "This time it's for fun." I'm just having fun with it. We recorded this cut four or five years ago.

AM: I didn't know that.

PB: It's a work in progress. Now we're having fun putting the finishing touches on it and doing different mixes. I can't wait to perform it. It's a whole different feel for me.

AM: I'm saying it's a timeless song.

PB: I know...everybody who hears it goes away singing the chorus. It's ingrained already.

AM: Do you have any live dates scheduled?

PB: We will have some. Maybe in May.

AM: Why do you think you've had such an enduring career?

PB: I think it's staying active in the craft whether you have a record out or not. I sing back-up for people, I go and sing jazz and do rock n' roll. You just keep honing the craft.

AM: You're more of a singer than just a disco artist.

PB: Before I was signed I was singing Top 40 around LA. I was covering Aretha and Chaka Khan, whatever was around. Then I went though my jazz phase.

AM: I didn't know you ever sang jazz. I'd love to hear some.

PB: Wait till you hear some jazz. You will love it! It actually surprises people whenever I do it. Nobody knows and it's what I grew up with. Really it was jazz, opera, the full gamut, because I loved it. I loved all music!

AM: Do you consider yourself more an entertainer or a recording artist?

PB: Oh boy...I like live performances so I think entertainer. I know I can do the recording because I was a session singer and a demo singer for years, but I love the whole process of putting an act together where people can see that I do comedy and jazz, along with R&B ballads, even some country. The Pointer Sisters had a country hit! I want to do something almost like Bette Midler but on the R&B tip.

AM: Have you thought about putting this show together? It's sounds more theatrical.

PB: Yes and now I'm in a theatre production with The Pink Lady. I'm in rehearsals now for performances in March.

AM: What's the name?

PB: It's called 'Rockin' With The Ages' and a lot of the performers are way over forty. They're all talented and still doing it. It's a passion and they are very authentic about themselves and where they are at this time and what they can do. This play was written around me with 'After Dark' being a part of the play. I play a club owner who is about to be foreclosed on. I get to sing 'Midnight Train To Georgia' and 'On The Radio.'

AM: So you feel like you're in the middle of your career... you're not done?

PB: I've always kept at it but I did get out of the loop, and all of a sudden I realized there was another chapter here.

AM: Life really does run in cycles.

PB: Totally and I think the timing is right and if I get the right people to help me do an entertainment act where I can show what I can really do it would be great.

AM: When you signed with Casablanca did you have any clue that it would grow into a myth?

PB: No...I had no idea. I had no idea what disco was. I was touring with Ann-Margret and had lots of stuff going on. As I came off the road they told me my song had hit the dance charts. I said, "What's a dance chart?" The next thing I knew I was singing at 'Studio One' and 'Back Lot' and from then on it was crazy.

(At this point Rick Gianatos walks in.)

AM: Rick, tell me about 'It's All About The Music.'

RG: There is a long history to the making of the track. It feels kind of special. At first I thought I would cut several tracks with Pattie and then make a decision about what the next single would be. My gut said this was the one. I let Paul Goodyear pick and he went right to this song. A lot of DJ's liked this song.

AM: You don't normally make videos for your songs do you?

RG: This is the first concept video that I've done. I have done documentary style with my 'Dreamgirls' project. This song just lends itself to a video showing people doing things to music. It's a happy song. It has an old school kind of lyric.

AM: It could be a commercial for an i-pod.

PB: I'm telling you!

RG: It could work for i-tunes and downloading. The video is tongue in cheek with comic elements. Hopefully we will go viral. We might sell a download or two. The CD will be a collectable.

AM: That's the way to go now. This is the center song of a full album right?

RG: Yes we have a song with Kim Yarbrough and Charlo Crossley Fortier, who was formally a Harlette. We have another duet that will be with Cynthia Manley which takes a sad turn because it's my favorite song by Teena Marie, 'Behind The Groove.'

AM: Pattie you sang a lot of background for Teena didn't you?

PB: Yes I sure did.

RG: We talked about this all before she passed. This was not a tribute. Pattie's daughter was going to ask Teena to come in and do some licks. It's a party, happy song.

PB: I'll have fun with it. Teena WILL be in there with us.

RG: These ladies didn't even meet until the photo shoot but they acted like they'd already done the recordings. They're ready to record now.

AM: It won't be long will it?

PB: I think it was just the right time to get all of us together to enjoy one another and the talents of each other. It was just the best time. When we do get in the studio we are gonna really rock!

AM: I love how you've lost no passion.

PB: Not at all! I'm like a kid again.

To learn more about Pattie Brooks visit her web site http://www.pattiebrooks.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment