Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Markina Brown



Markina Brown is the primary meteorologist for KTLA's Prime News. She joined KTLA in August of 2008, from WOIO/WUAB-TV in Cleveland, Ohio.

Prior to Cleveland, Markina worked at WBBM-TV, in Chicago, Illinois where she served as the weekday morning meteorologist. She joined the station as weekend meteorologist/weather reporter.

The Detroit native has a B.S. degree in Geosciences with a concentration in Meteorology from Mississippi State University, and from Central Michigan University, she's earned a B.A. in Broadcast Journalism and Cinematic Arts, and a B.A. in Political Science with a concentration in International Relations.

In addition to all of that, Markina holds the Television Seal of Approval from the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association. She is also a member of the National Association of Black Journalists, National Council of Negro Women -- and is also a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.

Markina is the third reporter I have photographed from KTLA. As you can see from these photos she is a natural beauty with a lot of poise. I have a feeling she will be successful at anything she goes for. The fabulous TJ Romeland did hair, make-up and styling.

AM: Hello Markina, How long have you been in Los Angeles?

MB: Just since August of 2008, so really not that long.

AM: Did you already have your job at Channel 5?

MB: I came here for the job.

AM: Did you work in television in Detroit?

MB: No Detroit is where I'm from but I never worked there. My previous job before Los Angeles was Cleveland, Ohio and then I worked in St. Louis before that and Chicago before that so I've been all over.

AM: Were you doing the weather at all these stations?

MB: Yes I was.

AM: How did you get into weather?

MB: A lot of people ask me if this was something I always wanted to do because a lot of kids are very interested in weather. It's always so intriguing to them, and not to say that it isn't to me, but growing up, this is not what I wanted to do.

AM: What did you dream about doing?

MB: I wanted to be a TV reporter, not an anchor, just a reporter. After I went to college I applied for my first on air job. They told me they wanted to offer me the job but it was weekend weather reporter. I told them I had never done weather before. I didn't want them to put me on TV thinking they were going to see this great weather person. I wanted to be upfront with them about that. The news director said they would teach me. So I started following the meteorologist at the station and went to school for it, and liked it. I loved it after I got my degree and I have been doing it ever since.

AM: But you would be happy to have another kind of reporting job now wouldn't you?

MB: Yes I am in Los Angeles now and there are so many other types of reporting that you see and that you can be open too. There are more options here. News is great and that's what got me here. I'll always have my meteorology degree. No one can ever take that away from me no matter what I do.

AM: Was it a goal to get to Los Angeles?

MB: That wasn't a goal until I got here. In 2008 I said to my then fiancé, "What do you think about getting out of here and going somewhere warm?" He was born and raised in Ohio so we both knew about big winters. He said he wouldn't mind it, so I talked to my agent about looking for a job here and got it.

AM: Now that you are here you like it, and you have set your sights even higher.

MB: Absolutely, you have to do that.

AM: What is your ultimate goal?

MB: I don't know. I can't answer that. If anyone would have ever told me that I would come to LA and be thinking of a job outside of news I would have said, "No way!" I can't say because I don't know. Coming here all I wanted to do was the weather, now I am thinking about other things. Who knows, actress, game-show host, you name it.

AM: Do you like interviewing people?

MB: I do very much.

AM: Is there anything else you want to tell me about?

MB: No, we are here enjoying the sunshine. As far as my career goes, we will just have to see what happens.

AM: Do you want to have a family?

MB: I would like one child. I think I'd love to have one kid and if I can get that done I will consider myself to be extremely blessed and happy.

photos: Alan Mercer Hair, Make-up & Styling: TJ Romeland


No comments:

Post a Comment