Saturday, January 23, 2010

Farewell Lovely Jean Simmons

I just heard the sad news that Jean Simmons passed away yesterday at the age of 80. Six years ago I received a phone call from her agent. She was looking to take some new photos. They were interviewing photographers and looking at their portfolios to choose just the right person for the job. I was thrilled to be considered.

I went to the office in Culver City for my appointment and saw several "hip" photographers with slick portfolios looking very important. I only had a few photographs in an envelop to show the Hollywood Icon. I was still relatively new in Los Angeles and hoped that my work would be good enough to make up for my lack of flashy presentation.

I was called into the office to meet the legendary Miss Simmons. There was excitement in the air as I really wanted this job. I knew in my heart that I was the right photographer for her. I would be able to capture her legendary beauty the way she was meant to be captured. We were introduced as I pulled out some photographs, spreading them on the table in front of us. She instantly remarked that FINALLY she was seeing some photos she liked! I started to feel more relaxed at this point. Within a couple of minutes I had the job. I remember feeling so happy because I knew I was the one meant for this assignment.

A week later I photographed Miss Simmons at her home in Santa Monica. She couldn't have cared less about being a glamour girl but she knew I wanted to get a shot like that so she graciously found an old fur and suggested we use that for the look. Within a few minutes we had our shot and she was free to go on about her day. She appreciated this. We did enjoy hot tea and biscuits afterwards. I visited her a couple of times after that and sent birthday cards these last few years.

I have a beautiful framed 11x14 portrait of this shot that Jean Simmons autographed for me, "Dear Alan, Thank you for making magic. It was great fun. Fond love, Jean Simmons"
Now I say thank you Miss Jean Simmons for knowing I was the right photographer for you. "You created magic in my life and it was great fun!"

No comments:

Post a Comment