Friday, October 16, 2009

The Irrepressible Taylor Negron


photos: Alan Mercer Lighting: Eric Venturo

Taylor Negron, a native of Glendale, California, attended UCLA. He studied acting with Lee Strasberg and studied comedy at a private seminar taught by Lucille Ball. He went on to join the cast of an improvisational comedy group, whose ranks included talents like Robin Williams, Martin Short and Betty Thomas. In 1982 Negron made his motion-picture debut as a love-struck, pill-popping, dancing intern in 'Young Doctors in Love' and as the obviously peeved Mr. Pizza Guy in 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High.' He also played Rodney Dangerfield's son-in-law in 'Easy Money.' He has a great role as the villain Milo, in the Bruce Willis film,' The Last Boy Scout.' Taylor Negron was honored with the distinction of being asked to teach one of the first comedy courses offered at UCLA. He is currently working on his one man show and a group show called "Streep Tease' where he is part of a group of eight actors portraying Meryl Streep roles from her films.

I met Taylor Negron eight years ago when I first moved to Los Angeles. I always thought of him as a brilliant artist and after knowing him personally I can tell you that not only is he a giant talent, but he is a sweetheart as well. I hadn't seen him in a couple of years, so it was wonderful to sit down with him and Eric Venturo after we took his newest photos, and catch up on what is going on with Taylor in his life now.

AM: What's new for you these days Taylor?

TN: I developed a show called 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being Taylor Negron' which is a collection of short stories and essays I started writing to perform at Scoping Word Events in Los Angeles, which are so amazing, and I hooked up with musicians to put music into it. A twenty-one year old guy, Logan Heftel, scored the whole thing.

AM: How did you meet Logan?

TN: I met him at a Starbucks in Salt Lake City. He put a score to my work. He wrote an original song and I have worked with him on the song.

AM: What is your show like?

TN: Basically it is every sad story of my life with a punch line. We are entering very complicated and heavy times right now. People want to laugh. I don't want to be part of this nonsensical 'What are you wearing at the red carpet?' meaninglessness.

AM: Is your one man show taking up all your creative energy now?

TN: I'm doing this show right now called 'Streep Tease' which is eight monologues from Meryl Streep movies done by eight actors. I was chosen to do 'Sophie's Choice' and everyone started saying to me, 'Oh that must be so funny!' It is so NOT funny. It is so serious.

EV: What made you want to be a part of this?

TN: It's an incredible opportunity you get, when the work is so thrilling, to be able to have the chance to jump in and honor the bi-polar chemistry of Meryl Streep. I had to watch 'Sophie's Choice' twenty times. When I perform it people are very quiet.

AM: That must be hard to do considering the subject matter.

TN: It is. How can people put Hitler's mustache on Obama and call him a Nazi? He didn't murder seven million Jews. When you murder Anne Frank then you can be called Hitler. You are not Hitler just because you grew up in Hawaii. The idea of thinking he is Iranian is so ludicrous also.

AM: Do you still have time for your stand up material?

TN: I've been performing stand-up again and it's interesting that after surviving this long being un-plugged, the new thing is everyone went to Twitter and Facebook.

AM: I know you are on them as well now.

TN: So now I'm just in to flirting, insulting people to their face, creating ruckuses and stirs with my big mouth because what are they going to do? Will I get kicked off Facebook if I'm an asshole or if I am loving? I actually made out with a girl at Pavilions because she was a bitch to me and I said, 'Now you have to kiss me.' I need to be part of a real three dimensional life.

AM: A lot of people are realizing that we need a more human existence again.

TN: I believe this is the next trend. People will put down all their applications and they are going to get dirty again. Comedy will stay big because people who focus on dark humor and satire will be able to move people.

AM: You have also turned into quite the writer haven't you?

TN: I've been writing things for the Huffington Post.

EV: Are you wanting to educate people with your work?

TN: All I know is it's been years of 'What are you wearing?' instead of 'What are you thinking?'

AM: How do you think times have changed?

TN: People read 'Gone with the Wind' and they knew what the Civil War was. People don't read 'Gone with the Wind' anymore. In the old days people did know about Vivian Leigh's gowns, but they also knew about the Civil War. We are now in the third generation of no education.

EV: What do you think has happened to people in our modern culture?

TN: People have literally become like the Roman God Narcissus, and they are constantly only looking at themselves in a pool of still water.

AM: Why do you think this is?

TN: Most people are really scared about life. I always go back to Roosevelt with, 'The only thing to fear is fear itself.' It helps me cope.

AM: What else has been on your mind these days?

TN: I was absolutely stunned by the series of Celebrity deaths this summer. It was very sobering and inspiring. I wonder why, when Patrick Swayzee knew he was dying, did he do a TV show with a gun. If I was dying I would do a TV show with a feather...or a cooking show.

AM: Why do you think your new show is entertaining?

TN: I was Lucille Ball's assistant. I learned from Lucy. I saw her cry in my arms. I was only 19. I didn't ask for that. I sat in Groucho Marx's lap. I met Mae West. I knew Timothy Leary. Just by growing up here I became part of California Gothic. All I can do is to give back by telling my story, have some punch lines and have it move you. We ran the show in New York and I didn't know what was going to happen. People stayed afterwards and cried. I never had this experience in comedy where people actually want to take my hand and share their experience. That's when you know you've done something when you inspire people to look at and evaluate their life.

AM: That's great. Are you taking it back to New York?

TN: The show is being developed on the road. You throw something up on the wall and it very rarely sticks, but this is something that stuck.

AM: Do you feel like you are getting older?

TN: I know I am getting old because I thought Rhianna was a rice dish!

EV: What else do you talk about in your show?

TN: I talk about growing up in LA and being a model as a child and then being an actor. I was exposed to some really rough stuff. I grew up in a time before kids were considered sacred. I was objectified and I was a victim so one of my concerns is not to be a victim. I want to be the victor of my life. This is what the world has to do. Stop being a victim and stop laying down.

EV: How do you avoid being a victim now?

TN: I don't ever get the short end of the stick! I'm never going to apologize for a biological act, and I believe the highest form of consciousness is being kind to somebody.

AM: How is your movie career going?

TN: I've done a lot of movies and now that I am getting older it is great because the parts are getting richer. I play psychiatrists a lot.

AM: Do you need the attention like you used to?

TN: No my ego is done. I am just done. I live in France part of the year. I'm re-doing the house in France. Even though I don't have to do any acting anymore I enjoy doing it now because it is the most political thing you can do.

AM: Plus you thrive on stage.

TN: I actually do thrive on stage. But Michael Jackson's death is a lesson to all of us. He thrived on stage but could not do the same in real life. We all have to strive to be happy in our own lives and not on Facebook or through some messed up relationship. but in our lives. It's OK to let people help you. It's OK to ask for help, and it's OK to fire people!


To learn more about Taylor Negron visit his web site http://www.taylornegron.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment