Thursday, October 15, 2009

Introducing Richard Levi

I met Richard Levi at several of the Del Shores shows. One of the first things you notice about him is his charm and intelligence. I had the opportunity to photograph and get to know him a bit. He impressed me with his overall knowledge of show business and how it works. After watching his acting reel I was aware of how talented he is. I went to one of his bands shows and heard him sing out in Country Blues style.

So he is a nice guy with lots of talent and he likes to help others. I have had the pleasure of Richard helping me with a few photo shoots and interviews, so I want you all to know him. You will be seeing his name come up in future interviews. Thanks Richard for being the kind of guy you are and for being a wonderful new friend!



AM: I know you moved here from Texas. How long have you lived in LA?

RL: Time kind of blurs here but I guess its four years now. It took me two years before I realized I lived here.

AM: Now that you’ve adjusted to living here, what do you think it takes to make it in this town?

RL: I think being yourself is the best thing you can do. You can’t be anything else. Maintaining who you are is what’s hard. Being authentic is where it’s at. This is a place where everything is smoke and mirrors. This is where all the ‘best ofs’ live. The bar is higher. I worked in a casting office for commercials when I first got here and saw hundreds of actors in a room auditioning. It was eye opening to see how things are perceived and wanted.

AM: What did you learn from that experience that helps you as an actor?

RL: I learned to just go in to the auditions and do your thing and live your life. Go deeper than what is required out here sometimes.

AM: I know you are a musician as well. Does that help you maintain a connection to reality?

RL: Yes it does. Music is a by product for me. I’ve always loved it but only a couple of years ago did I start singing in a band. With music you can be a little more solid. I was always singing in the shower and the school choir.

AM: I get the impression that you are more of a film maker and actor.

RL: Yes I am. I think so, but music is something that is more in my control. You can just do it.

AM: Is there less work for actors in LA in the last couple of years?

RL: I’m not sure. I think the work may be just spread out. Movies are made everywhere now. New Mexico and Canada are happening.

AM: I also know that you are a writer. Can you comment on that?

RL: Sure. It’s always a control issue. You always want that control. I always thought there are so many great stories to tell. I came across one that interested me. It’s been an amazing journey to follow this story. I am adapting a book to bring the story forth. I just want to do things that I have a passion for.

photos: Alan Mercer

No comments:

Post a Comment