Monday, March 1, 2010

Tour De 4Force: A Super Group

All photos: Alan Mercer Lighting: Eric Venturo

This 5 member group is comprised of SCHERRIE PAYNE, JOYCE & PAM VINCENT, THERESA DAVIS - all former members of well-known and highly successful singing groups (Supremes, Tony Orlando & Dawn and The Emotions, respectively) - and JIM GILSTRAP, who is considered to be one of the most prolific and successful session singers in the industry.

Tour De 4Force also gathered the support of many other successful and respected artists on the Quiet Moon CD - including former Temptations lead singer, ALI OLLIE WOODSON. Woodson's vocals are featured along with the groups on the Gilstrap-penned "Four Walls" and "Heaven Bound," a song originally recorded by Chaka Khan & Rufus under the direction of Quincy Jones.

Buoyed by loyal fans who have followed the careers of these talented performers through the years, TOUR De 4FORCE is already enjoying a favorable response to their formation, as evidenced by the multitude of hits to their music playlist on their Myspace page - over 100,000 in the first 3 weeks!

AM: How did this group come about and what does it mean to you?

JV: TD4F means everything to me because I am with such good friends from a long time back.

AM: Was it something you were looking to do?

JV: No, but I was happy to get involved.

AM: What would you like to see happen with this group?

JV: I would like to see us shoot for the moon and at the worst we can fall among the stars.

AM: I know this started as a solo project for you Scherrie, so what happened?

SP: Yes but I ended up with my dearest friends Joyce and Pam Vincent, who I have known since 1968 in Detroit, and my dear ‘play brother’ Jim Gilstrap, the maestro of background singers and a fabulous songwriter. I am just meeting Theresa Davis who is fantastic. I LOVE her I just LOVE her. I am so happy that this evolved the way it did. It’s because God meant it to be that way.

AM: Do you prefer this to a solo project?

SP: Oh yes, absolutely. You can do so much more.

AM: What are your plans with TD4F?

SP: We plan on releasing the album before the end of the year. Our first single is called 'Godsend.' We’re going to go as far as the road will take us.

AM: Do you think your experience as a Supreme helps?

SP: I think so, yes. We have Joyce and Pam from ‘Tony Orlando & Dawn’ and Jim Gilstrap has been in about every major album that’s been released, and Theresa comes from the ‘Emotions’ so we all came together with experience and a lot of love.

AM: How did you get involved with TD4F Jim?

JG: Marcia (our manager) and Scherrie called and asked me to sing on the album so I did that and went home and forgot about it. Then they asked me to be a part of a group. That was very exciting to me because I love Scherrie.

AM: I’m very familiar with your credits!

JG: I’ve been very blessed to work with Stevie Wonder and Quincy Jones. I also do a lot of TV commercials and movies.

AM: You are the man who never stops. You are more successful than a lot of the famous names we know.

JG: I feel really lucky because I have worked with everyone in the business; Burt Bacharach, Henry Mancicni, so many.

AM: Does it feel good to be the only guy in this group?

JG: Are you kidding? (laughter) It feels great.

AM: Do people know you sang the ‘Good Times’ theme song?

JG: I make more money now than I did when it was on the network. They play it like seven or eight times a day. I also sing the theme song from ‘Baretta’ with Sammy Davis. It’s a pleasure to sing with these ladies.

AM: Pam how did you get involved?

PV: We were called in to do some background work for Scherrie. Then the magic started to happen in the studio. We had such a fabulous sound with all of us. It kind of evolved into a ‘force.’

AM: Are you excited to be a part of it?

PV: I am ecstatic! This group just formed right before our eyes. We sound great together and we all love each other. It’s the perfect recipe. You can’t go wrong.

AM: Theresa, how did you get involved with TD4F?

TD: I received a phone call from Marcia Parks. She thought my voice would blend in with the other members.

AM: How long were you with the Emotions?

TD: I was with them for four years.

AM: Do you think it helped to have this experience?

TD: Oh sure any experience will help. I’ve done a lot of touring.

To learn more about Tour De 4Force visit their MySpace page http://www.myspace.com/tourde4forceofficial

No comments:

Post a Comment