Saturday, December 19, 2009

Yvonne Elliman is Home Again


photos: Alan Mercer lighting: Eric Venturo

Yvonne Elliman's singing career began in 1969 in London where she performed at various bars and clubs. This led to a recording contract and later, in Miami, a close association as a backing vocalist for Eric Clapton. She performed on many of his 1970s hits including "I Shot the Sheriff" and "Lay Down Sally". She sang the role of Mary Magdalene in the original album of Jesus Christ Superstar and in the subsequent Broadway and film version, and achieved her first hit single with the ballad "I Don't Know How to Love Him." This performance led to a 1974 Golden Globe nomination for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy.

Her recording career began to take off from this point and she scored several hit singles throughout the world, including cover versions of the Barbara Lewis hit "Hello Stranger" and the Bee Gees' "Love Me." Her biggest success came in 1977 with her #1 hit from the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, "If I Can't Have You" which was also written by the Bee Gees. The song was a big hit, rising to #1 in the Billboard Hot 100. Its success has resulted in Elliman being remembered as a disco artist, though this style of music was an exception to the medium-tempo ballads that she specialized in.

She appeared in a two-part episode of the television action series Hawaii Five-O during this period as an aspiring singer, performing the song "I Can't Get You Out of my Mind" with co-star James Darren. The single "Savannah" was also a hit and demonstrated Elliman's attempts to move away from disco music and create music that focused more on her vocal abilities.

After a considerable hiatus, Elliman reappeared on the music scene. An album titled Simple Needs, with all songs written by Elliman, was released globally on June 12, 2007. She has continued performing in music festivals, benefits and concerts throughout the country and around the world while calling Hawaii home again for the past nine years. She lives a peaceful life taking care of her elderly parents and cooking for her long-time boy friend, Allen Alexander, when she is not on the road.

I have always been able to appreciate the beauty of Yvonne Elliman's voice and music, as well as her obvious physical beauty. She can linger on a note, and sustain a purity of tone, that gets warmer, the longer she goes. She is raw and edgy in true 'rocker chick' style on songs like 'Can't Find My Way Back Home.' Check out the Youtube video of her singing this song. It's also available on her CD "20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Yvonne Elliman." She recently played in Los Angeles where I had a chance to finally meet up with, and work with, one of my long-time musical heroes. There was an instant connection. Hawaii's New First Lady of Song is an out-going, fun, warm, and beautiful soul with so much musical talent. As it happens Eric Venturo is a major fan of Miss Elliman as well, so we had a lot of fun getting these shots and talking to her before she went on stage at the Hollywood Bowl.

AM: Do you perform a lot in Hawaii?

YE: They don't pay very well. All the musicians who live there have to have day jobs. I don't know why that is because you would think that the tourists would bring a lot of money into Hawaii.

AM: Would you ever take a day job?

YE: If the truth be known I do not want a regular job.

AM: Would you ever go back to Broadway?

YE: I don't want to repeat myself. That is why I was only on Broadway for six months. The producers knew I was too young to be doing eight shows a week. It can get to you. I wanted to change the blocking! (laughing)

AM: Is it true that you took a flat fee instead of a percentage for the original Jesus Christ Superstar album?

YE: Yes I took $240.00. They spread it out on the desk like a deck of cards. I thought, 'Damn!' My manager and I were hungry. She told me, 'Darling, it's not very good. Take the money.' (laughing) We took the money and ran. We bought a case of Matusse wine and a bunch of steak. Then we had a party on top of the roof. It was the best time.

AM: What do you remember about recording 'I Don't Know How To Love Him' and "Everything's Alright' for that small amount of pay?

YE: We thought I would just do the songs real quick and I did record them in one take!?! In and out so we thought it was great money for one hour of work. If I had received a lot of money in those days I might not be here today. I was a naughty girl.

AM: You were wild.

YE: Well I was an only child, a latch key kid, and when you are left-handed as well, watch out!

AM: I understand that. It's only logical that when you were hanging out with Eric Clapton and people like that. There is no way you would not be 'living the life.'

YE: Yes, you had to be one of the boys. It all went hand in hand. I couldn't be a rock 'n roller and not have a drink in one hand and a coke spoon in the other.

AM: Do you feel more like a Rocker or a Pop star?

YE: I've always been tagged 'Pop' but the 'Rock 'n Roll' heart was always there. When I went to London it was to be the first kick-ass, female electric guitar player. That's what I wanted to be.

AM: What happened?

YE: I got discovered! (more laughing) I used to go all around all the double-decker buses with just a fret board made of paper and practice the scales so I would know where the notes are. I heard Jimmy Hendrix did that with his fret board in his desk at school. I really wanted to play. I was learning Jimmy Page licks and getting it all together and of course that's when 'Superstar' came along, and it was a total different direction.

AM: Aren't you glad you did it?

YE: 'Jesus Christ Superstar' ended up being totally brilliant, especially for Christianity. It brought a lot of young kids into the Church. I thought Mary Magdalene was Mary's Mom. That's the level of my education at the time. It did teach a lot of people that at least Jesus was a man. It was a good thing.

AM: Many young people learned about the Bible from that show.

YE: Is that right? I went to hospitals and actually had to touch this girl who had been in an accident and she wanted me there. The parents were praying for her to make it through...and she did. They gave me the credit. It was getting too heavy. I did that twice and I thought, no I can't do this anymore. I became an Agnostic actually. I was getting so much flack from people who were Buddhists and Krishna's. The 'God' thing was getting on my nerves.

AM: It's called art.

YE: It's called will the real God please stand up. I was so confused.

AM: From 'Jesus Christ Superstar' to disco is a long way.

YE: Don't forget there was Clapton in between. He was my idol and he asked me to be in his band. Talk about a freaking moment when you cannot speak! I had just been on an album of his and he featured me in two songs. I was riding an incredible wave. I'm on the road with Clapton for three and a half years and Robert Stigwood said to me, 'You have to leave the band and get a band of your own. You have two singles and they are climbing the charts. You have to go out and tour.'

AM: How did Clapton react to this?

YE: I had to tell him I was leaving and he got very mad. I did not want to leave. I'd be there today if I could. I'd be very happy if I was still doing that today. I love the man's music, but he got mad and I got to do my own thing which was totally different from his. There were no more Lear jets and trains waiting to take us to our five star hotels. I was on a bus and we shared rooms in hotels and played little bars when it was a freezing cold winter. It was very hard. I paid my dues. But then 'Saturday Night Fever' came along.

AM: I remember a photo of you in Billboard magazine when you had your number one hit. You were with a group of executives and you were all holding up champagne flutes, celebrating.

YE: Oh really!?! That was a 'trippy' day. I got a call early in the morning, 'You are number one with a bullet.'

AM: Was it a dream come true?

YE: Yes I had been waiting and waiting. I was watching that thing climb the charts and then get stuck. There was some heavy competition. So it was a relief when it made it to number one. I don't know if there was any payola going on and I didn't want to know if there was. Then I got the 'Hawaii 5-O' part because I had a number one hit. I was Yvonne Kanekoa! (laughing)

AM: I remember that. I may have even seen some of it on YouTube. Now why did you move back to Hawaii?

YE: I mainly just had to get out of LA. I was living on top of Decker Canyon in a decrepit house and we were being evicted. Time to go. I took that opportunity. It was like God answering a prayer. I also decided to stop singing songs that I wasn't crazy about. I want to just do songs that I love. I don't want to waste my time doing that and then what if something I do hits? If I don't like it I am stuck. That's how I got stuck in disco for so long.

AM: Do you appreciate disco more now?

YE: I can see now what the power of it is. It is very positive and that's great to have in this day and age when everything is so negative. Back then I was not as into it because I was a Rock 'n Roller' so I was ready to leave the disco thing behind.

AM: What have you been doing musically the past few years?

YE: I started to write music. I liked what I was doing. I was kind of scolding people.

AM: What do you mean?

YE: My songs are about being more aware. I don't know why. I have things to say I suppose, right? I did write a great love song for my boyfriend called, 'Just Right.' I'm really hot on that stuff. I have an album's worth of material ready to go. I don't know why I can't just make that my priority and work on that. People want to record me over there for free. Come on let's just do it. I'm just not organized.

AM: So you do have some music that you have already recorded?

YE: I have demos of some songs that I am really excited about. It's just me and a guitar playing in the studio. I am also in the process of writing a song called 'Elephant' because I love the elephant. I was called 'Yvonne Elephant' in school which was really terrible. It was a real drag.

AM: Do you think we will hear some of this new music in 2010?

YE: Thank you so much. I need a little encouragement because I am the perfectionist. The mood has to be right, the inspiration has to be right, I have to be in the right place. That's not good. Sometimes you have to push yourself and force yourself because you can get surprises. I've got to finish the 'Elephant' song and 'Leave Lefty Alone' and then I'll be ready to record. There's nothing holding me back except myself.

AM: Why don't you get into acting?

YE: I don't know about acting.

AM: You are a great actress.

YE: I did the Hawaii 5-O part and of course I was in 'Superstar' but there was no talking, so when I did have to talk for the first time I thought it was really uncomfortable. I don't think I am going to pursue any acting. I have a hard enough time getting the music out.

EV: Your voice has remained strong and clear.

YE: They say it is the tone of my voice. For years I didn't know what people liked about my voice. I don't have a huge range. I don't have the gymnastics that Whitney does.

AM: Whatever is in your voice I know it is a warmth that I like.

YE: Oh really. Thank you.

EV: What was it like working with (photographer) Norman Seef?

YE: Oh he was fast. He was about trying something different. He said, 'Let's take it outside.' He got me running down a hill where one boob is up.

AM: Do you feel like Hawaii inspires you as an artist and are you there for the rest of your life?

YE: Oh yes. I have been given such warmth and such a welcome. It's like being a big fish in a small pond. They fed me when I was at my most insecure point. I needed to rebuild the confidence and that was the best place for me to be. I feel comfortable to be in my own skin there. I know what they are saying when they talk Pidgen. My Mom and Dad are there. They are going through the old age stuff so it's a good time for me to be there for them.


Learn more about Yvonne Elliman on her MySpace page http://www.myspace.com/yvonneelliman

No comments:

Post a Comment