Sunday, December 13, 2009

Shèna Winchester: A Real Disco Artist

photos: Alan Mercer Lighting: Eric Venturo

Shèna Winchester is not just a sensationally talented vocalist. She is also a vivacious and gregarious beauty. The British born singer graduated with honors from the Royal Academy of Music. Her main goal has been to create infectious music that gets down deep inside the listeners head and body. You can't help but dance to her catchy sounds.

Shèna has produced some breath taking solo work with the release of three incredibly well produced and received singles and is currently working on her debut album, a project that will introduce a new sound that dices together big, bold and classic orchestral disco with raw and edgy breaks, beats and lyrics.

Now in 2010 she will release her first solo album titled, 'One Man Woman.' She came to Los Angeles recently to perform for the first time. Thanks to my friends, Michael Williams and Pedro Arista from Medium Rare Records in San Francisco, we had a chance to meet up and take some fun shots. I loved watching Shèna on stage and I 'loved' taking photos of her. She is pure magic to be around and work with. Shèna is blessed with a loving and kind disposition. We laughed the whole time we were together. Eric Venturo was around so he helped out with the lighting as usual.


AM: I have been listening to all your music. You have done so much work for other artists. How does it feel to be your own artist?

SW: It feels fantastic! I wonder why didn't I do it sooner? It's champagne meets lemonade. That's the difference.

AM: Who musically inspired you?

SW: In her prime, Whitney Houston. Also people like Ella Fitzgerald, Lauren Hill. I love voices that have power at the bottom range as well as the top. There is a richness in the lower end that takes it up to the next level. Oleta Adams is another prime example of that. Those are some of the people I listen to and want to sound like. They are brilliant.

AM: You do sound like them but in your own unique way. I don't hear anyone but you when you sing.

SW: That's fantastic to hear that. That is the idea. I want to sound like 'Shena.'

AM: Is your album going to be released in 2010?

SW: That's right. We are releasing it world-wide on my own label called No Prisoners Records. My huband and I founded it.

AM: You wrote your songs didn't you?

SW: My husband and I wrote all ten songs. We are bringing real disco back. We want the bass and the looseness of the grooves. It was such a great time for music and it's a shame it died.

AM: This was all before your time.

SW: Absolutely, I never got to experience it first hand so I have to catch it the second time around.

AM: Are you on a one woman crusade to bring back the joy and the fun of the music?

SW: Absolutely I am. I want to bring it back and put a modern twist on it. You want to bring a new crowd into it so they can appreciate it.

AM: Do you tour around the world? I see that you are performing in Moscow.

SW: I have quite a career in the dance world so I still get asked to perform my dance hits. Moscow is a place that really appreciates me.

AM: Have you performed there before?

SW: Yes I am always in Moscow. I have spent half my life in Moscow airport! (Laughing)

AM: Is this your first time in Los Angeles?

SW: Yes this is my first time and I love it. The people are positive and helpful and the weather is great!

AM: I hope you come back when your CD is out.

SW: I would love too. It's an honor and privilege to be here.

EV: You are on your way to greatness.

SW: Thank you very much.



To learn more about Shena checkout her web site

http://www.shena.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment