Sunday, November 15, 2009

Carlos Gallardo: The Original 'Mariachi'

photos: Alan Mercer assisted by: Richard Levi

When he was six years old, Carlos Gallardo fantasized about being involved in the world of cinema. He did not know he would do it, but his greatest desire was to enter that marvelous dream world. It came as no surprise, then, when at a young age he decided on a career as an Actor / filmmaker. From the day he made this decision on, he let his imagination run free.

Carlos began by making home videos, but by the time he turned 13, he had become a full-fledged director: 'I made my first movie with an 8mmm camera loaned to me by a friend of my father', he reminisces about his early experiences in film.

Carlos Gallardo's first taste of fame came with the feature film 'El Mariachi,' a critically-acclaimed film renowned for costing $7,000 to make. The film won the 1993 Sundance Film Festival, and won Gallardo an Independent Spirit Award for Best First Feature, an accolade he shared with Rodriguez. He is also credited as unit production manager and for special effects in 'El Mariachi.'


Following 'El Mariachi,' Gallardo went on to be co-producer of the Robert Rodriguez-directed Mexico Trilogy sequels, 'Desperado' and 'Once Upon a Time in Mexico.' Both films featured Antonio Banderas in the role of 'El Mariachi,' in place of Gallardo, though Gallardo does have a cameo role in 'Desperado,' playing El Mariachi's buddy Campa.


Gallardo co-wrote, produced and starred in the title role of 2004 independent action thriller, 'Bandido.' He is also a producer for 2004 Colombian TV series.


Carlos also participated in the Robert Rodriguez production titled 'Curandero' where he plays the lead. 'Curandero' was directed by Eduardo Rodriguez.


I remember hearing about and then seeing 'El Mariachi' when it came out. Carlos Gallardo stood out as the lead of the film. I was pleased to be able to work with him on some new photographs at this point in his career. Richard Levi was available to help me get the good shots. We all talked about what is going on with Carlos after the photo session.


AM: What was it like being a kid and being so focused on film-making?

CG: That's a great question that nobody else has ever asked me. That is something that I have always asked myself. Why do I love this business? My parents are not in show business. Now my daughter already has it in her DNA so she is interested in the business. My first question is always, 'Are you born with it?' I was raised in a small town. My parents moved to this small town in the late 1940's. I was around in the 70's and they would always take me to the movies.

AM: How often would you go to the movies?

CG: My Mom would take us three times a week because it was such a little town and there was nothing else to do.

AM: What did your parents do for a living?

CG: Mom was a housewife and mostly did community work. My Dad was a gynecologist. I remember endlessly falling asleep at many, many movies. The movie theater was only a block from my house. Then there was a big theater a mile from home. So I do ask myself if that influenced me in my decision to make movies. That has always been the question and I don't have the answer. Robert (Rodriguez) says you are born with it which I believe, and others say, it all depends on how you were raised as a child. The second thing I have thought about is that I am a Leo and what is a Leo? It is the center of attention. Madonna and Antonio Banderas are Leos.

AM: I am a Leo!

CG: We are all Leos. So let's add a little bit of this to the mix with... at one point did I specifically say I want to make movies? I remember being five, six, and seven years old and wishing I was being filmed in the backyard. Then I do remember having some sort of feeling where people were looking at me. I wasn't that into sports but I did play a little football. I would always imagine having an audience and that would make me feel better.

AM: That's very Leo!

CG: OK, the most honest answer is when I was eleven or twelve I recorded my voice and I hated it. Then I saw 'The Road Warrior" with Mel Gibson and he spoke very little. So I said, "That's the type of movie I want to make!" I want to play someone who doesn't speak too much. Movies....yes, but with that same feeling as "The Road Warrior." This is the most honest answer I can give you.

RL: Did you go to film school?

CG: I didn't go to film school. We started making movies at twelve or thirteen.

AM: This is you and Robert Rodriquez?

CG: Yes. My parents sent me to San Antonio to a Catholic Seminary school. I had to live there. Robert was also a freshman. We met on the first weekend of school. Everybody was gone except for five kids so we decided to go to the movies.

AM: Was 'El Mariachi' a surprise hit?

CG: I think Robert was more surprised than me. This was the first time I saw myself on film.

AM: Did you think you WERE the Road Warrior?

CG: Yes I did. My dream came true because TIME magazine called me 'Mad Max.' I always knew we had something great. Also not being from LA, my mind was not clustered to be afraid. I didn't have one mustard seed of fear!

RL: Didn't they consider the film something of a miracle?

CG: They called it a movie miracle right on the poster. I thought why is it a movie miracle? Is that because of me or Robert? He didn't even want the movie to be released. So if it was a miracle and someone had faith. I had all the faith. Those things are hard to say. Was it Robert having so much talent or me having so much faith that made it a movie miracle? Before we shot the film I told Robert we have to go to Mass because that is something we were taught as kids.

AM: Did 'El Mariachi' change your lives?

CG: We didn't know anything about the business. We made 'Desperado' without doing it the way we wanted to. Peter Guber and Mark Anthony had just been fired from Columbia Pictures. The new administration came in and said they wanted to change the movie. I just wanted to get a movie that was made with real money so that would be on our credits. That was very important to me.

AM: Did you know Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek would be stars when they were cast in Desperado?

CG: We cast Salma a year before we filmed. At that moment in time you do not know those things. We didn't understand the 'star thing' we were just making movies. We weren't thinking about what comes after. We saw her on an HBO program and loved her. Antonio came in after Peter and Mark were fired. Antonio had just made 'Philadelphia' for Columbia so they wanted him in the lead.

AM: What do you say to critics who say 'El Mariachi' is the better film?

CG: I have to be neutral because I own both movies. I do say thank you very much as the actor, and as a producer I say, "They gave us money and I wanted to blow stuff up!" That was the whole point. You see the genius part was done with 'El Mariachi' not knowing we were doing it. Later it becomes normal movie-making life. We know what we are doing now. This is a business. The beginning has nothing to do with Hollywood or the business so it is innocent.

AM: Can you tell me about filming 'Bandido?'

CG: I'll tell you the story about 'Bandido.' Right after 'El Mariachi' I got my first check. I just put the check in the bank. Then I saw a ninja motorcycle and all of a sudden I have the power to buy it.

RL: Did you buy the bike?

CG: You have to be careful with money! My parents taught me good. So I got my bike and I listened to this Miguel Bose song that talked about being your lover Bandido. The idea is to change the word to a positive meaning. I kept hearing the song and I was flamboyant enough to think maybe I can make a character based on this. It was never an attempt to copy James Bond.

AM: Will there be a Bandido 2?

CG: We are planning a sequel, definitely. They are not easy to make. They are independent action films. The whole point is to create something bigger than what they give you money for. I want to start this next movie with second unit. Nobody has ever done that. Everyone starts with first unit and then finally goes ok second unit. This is a whole different idea. You have to think creative when you produce.

AM: Have you grown into producing?

CG: I think I have grown into it because the producer in me gives the job to the actor in me. That is the main reason I became a producer. I don't like being the bad guy. I like being the good guy that can share with everyone. Hollywood doesn't know that part of me. A lot of studios don't know who I really am.

AM: Are you interested in more television?

CG: No, no, no, I'm totally a film guy. There is some TV out there that is interesting. CSI is very interesting but I am a fan of Jerry Bruckhiemer. TV requires a different skill. With a movie you can get in character and do your scenes and then edit it to make it right. With TV you have to be on at certain times and it can be harder to get the feeling. It's always can you speak a little faster and do this a little faster. It's a different medium for me.

AM: Will you make a cameo in 'Machete?'

CG: I want to. I don't want to get killed in this one because I have already been killed in all the other ones.

AM: Can you talk about some projects you are working on now?

CG: I like to go out and find directors to make their first time film. This is a very important message. People say why would you do a movie with someone when you haven't seen their work. That is when you gamble. For the last couple of years I have tried to work with two directors, one is twenty-one and the other is fifty-something. Both are making their first film. I go through the process and make the movies and try to discover new directors. I'm always on the look out for the next one. I love to gamble myself into new movies with new talent. I love to work in a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment