Monday, May 25, 2009

Jules Day

photo: Alan Mercer lighting and art direction: Eric Venturo


Jules Day is a young, attractive vocalist who has talent beyond her age of twenty three. It sounds like she’s been singing for thirty years! She also writes or co-writes all of her material. This alone sets her apart from most singers and transforms her into a total musical artist.
I have listened to her music over and over since I photographed her and I love how the recordings always lead me into a beautiful, soulful, and peaceful place. I am convinced she is headed for the top! I look forward to seeing her perform LIVE as soon as possible.

‘Jules Day’ her debut CD can be heard on her MySpace page and web site.

The Los Angeles Times reviewed Jules’ recent concert in Hollywood as “having the vibe, the enthusiasm, and the sheer irresistibility of a star in the making.”



AM: Hi Jules, Do you consider yourself primarily a Jazz singer?

JD: I’ve performed in Jazz and Blues clubs but I would not describe my music as ‘primarily Jazz.’ It’s more a hybrid of different styles. It fits along side of Jazz real well.

AM: Do you consider yourself a Pop singer?

JD: My songs are geared for radio airplay. They are two to three minute songs you can sing along too. They are the kind of songs that get stuck in your head…in a good way. I think my music would be considered Pop…popular.

AM: What is your goal in regards to your career?

JD: Right now I’m trying to write as much music as I can and keep trying out songs. I want the music to catch on so I can keep doing what I love, which is performing. Also I am focusing on the recording aspect. I want to be a recording artist who is signed with a label who can get me out there like I’d like to be.

AM: Who has influenced you musically?

JD: A lot of instrumentalist like Stan Getz, John Coltrane, horn players really inspire me, trumpet players like Chet Baker, as far as singers go, I like B.B. King, and other Blues singers now. I take a little bit from everybody as far back as Billie Holiday to Bonnie Raitt today.


photo: Alan Mercer lighting and art direction: Eric Venturo
To learn more about Jules Day and hear her music visit her web site http://www.julieday.org/ and http://www.myspace.com/julesdaymusic

No comments:

Post a Comment