Monday, April 5, 2010

Robert Stephenson: A Hunk with a Heart

All photos: Alan Mercer

I must remember to thank Del Shores for introducing me to Robert Stephenson's work by casting him as the Soap Opera Star, Hunter in 'Sordid Lives: The Series.' Robert takes this part and makes it his own. He is an attractive and well built man who not only has his "act" together, he is also one of the nicest and most sincere people you would ever want to meet.

I spent a recent Sunday morning with Robert in Santa Monica as we took these photos and talked for this blog. I had no other help, just "Bobby" as he refers to himself, and me. Since he is known for his hunk status, I asked if he would mind posing with his shirt off. No pressure, but if he would do it, GREAT! As you can see he obliged. I got a chance to know him a little better and found him to be charming and kind. We'll all have a chance to see more of his work later this year when two more movies he stars in will be released.

AM: What is your acting history?

RS: I was ten years old when I did my first play. I had a lot of stage fright. Getting up in front of people has always terrified me. I'm better now of course, but back then I was scared.

AM: What was the part?

RS: I was cast to play a computer. I stood behind a big cardboard cut out and slid a piece of paper through a slot. I didn't tell my Mom what part I was playing so she said afterwards that she didn't see me. I told her I was the computer! I was on stage the whole time.

AM: Did that give you the acting bug?

RS: No it took several more years. I was in the record business for a while. I was looking for new talent and watching the budgets of the talent we had. I had a friend in the art department and he was an actor. I'd always wanted to try acting. I loved to go see live theater, musical acts and movies, but I never took the steps to get into it. I found out I was not satisfied working behind a desk helping other artists. I realized I wanted to be on the other side.

AM: Well you made the right choice because the music business has gone down so far now.

RS: Yeah that's right.

AM: Are you following your heart more by being an actor?

RS: Yes, it's a spiritual journey.

AM: Speaking of spiritual journeys and acting. The reason I know of your work is because of Del Shores. How did you end up working with him?

RS: I was in this acting class and this friend of Del's suggested I call him to see if there was a part in his new play. Actually he called me and asked if I wanted to read for the play. He asked if I knew who he was. He had written a bunch of plays by then and was successful writing for TV.

AM: So had you heard of Del at this time?

RS: I didn't know who he was at that point, but I went and read for him. His monologues were unbelievable and I connected right away with them. I loved the character and loved what I read. He called me later that night and said, "I have good news and I have bad news. The bad news is you didn't get the part. The good news is I want you to be the understudy."
I thought to myself, "OK, I guess I'll do it." It took him a month to get back to me. He called and said it was time to start working with me. That was the first time I met Ann Walker, Newell and Rosemary Alexander and Leslie Jordan.

AM: Didn't you just fall in love with them?

RS: They were all such wonderful people that my mouth dropped open because I was so excited. I felt like I already knew these people. I think it was my Southern background living in Atlanta, Georgia. I had been around characters similar to these guys. I was so comfortable and really happy to be a part of that world.

AM: I believe that happens when you are in your path. The people that you do meet have a sense of familiarity and family. You are in your groove. When you're not in your groove, life can be more of a struggle.

RS: They are a wonderful group of people and I've enjoyed everything I've done with them and I'd like to keep going with them. When I first was introduced I felt like the step child. Years later Del wrote 'Southern Baptist Sissies' and he was sharing some of it with me. He had decided that I was going to be the preacher. Then the actor who was cast as Mark in the play decided he wanted to get away from playing a gay character and move on to do something else creatively. It was devastating to Del and threw him into a problem of who would play the lead part. I said, "I'd love to read for it."

AM: Did he embrace this idea?

RS: Del gave me the opportunity to read for it two nights later. They were going to have official auditions. I went ahead and did a couple scenes and Del said, "OK you're 85% there so you got the role." I don't think they ever did the auditions after that.

AM: What exactly did you relate to in "Southern Baptist Sissies?"

RS: I related to not being comfortable with who I was. I was going through a time when I needed to accept who I was and learn to love myself. We lived in a redneck part of Atlanta when I was growing up. I was a hippie kid with long hair and my Mom's best friend dated Gregg Allman. There was always guys driving up in Choppers and rolling joints. I was only eight or nine years old. That was my world.

AM: Can you elaborate on this for me?

RS: I was picked on in school for having long hair and looking different. Kids called me a girl and pushed me around. I was forced into a few fights back then and always ended up pinning the other guy down and having them surrender. So, it's ingrained in me to stick up for those who are made to feel less than because they are different. It's the differences that make us special.

AM: So you have a history of standing up for the underdog.

RS: I also can't understand, or wrap my head around the idea that there is a God that would judge and condemn two people loving and taking care of each other. That makes no sense to me. I can only imagine a God judging and condemning people hurting one another.

AM: Did you participate in that lifestyle when you were a teenager?

RS: No I was a straight kid. I never got high or drank or anything until long after I was in college. It was always around me so it wasn't something mysterious. I was rolling joints for those guys but I wasn't interested in it at all. Isn't that funny? Anyway that was my world but I went to school and guys had crew cuts and they chewed tobacco. I never fit in. I felt like this is not where I belong. We moved to LA when I was twelve. Suddenly there was every type of person you could imagine. I thought I can blend in here so I won't stand out.

AM: That is a typical kid attitude, not to stand out, but as you decide to become an actor you want to stand out.

RS: That is part of the problem that I have with my career. (Laughing) I need to be bolder and knock on more doors.

AM: Did you start getting film and TV work from doing the plays?

RS: Yes it happens, especially with Del, since he was such a well known writer.

AM: Did you ever have an issue with playing a gay character? Are you just naturally open-minded?

RS: Yes the world I came from was filled with gay people. My Mom and her friend introduced me to their colorful life. One of their friends was Frank who turned into Francine when I was nine. Francine wanted me to take her to 'show and tell' at school. I grew up around all kinds of people. My brother is gay and I have no issue at all with it. My father was a policeman and a gunsmith, as well as a mountain man. My brother never came out to my Father, but I think he knew and didn't have a problem with it.

AM: How did your friends react to your part in 'Southern Baptist Sissies?'

RS: All my buddies from High School only wanted to know how did I make out with that guy? They missed all the heart wrenching, emotional parts of this difficult journey.

AM: You were just playing a part!

RS: Yes I was playing a part. It's a human being. When you get past the scruff, you close your eyes and a kiss is a kiss with a human being. I loved my scene partners so they made it easy for me.

AM: What was the first part you got from being in the play?

RS: I got a nice little part on "Ally McBeal" right away and that was fun!

AM: Are you typically cast as a hunk?

RS: No, when I did the play, that is how people were seeing me. I did a lot of auditions where I was going out for the gay character.

AM: So many actors just won't take that part.

RS: People were having issues with taking these parts back then, about ten years ago. Actors were attracted to the material but afraid of it at the same time.

AM: Were you not concerned about being typecast?

RS: The journey for the character was so moving and I connected so much that I didn't think about any of that at all.

AM: I know you have this cool commercial that premiered during the Super Bowl.

RS: Yes that was my first Super Bowl spot. It's for Home Away, a company that rents homes instead of hotel rooms. It was their first Super Bowl commercial too.

AM: Is it on the web site?

RS: Yes, you go to homeaway.com and you can see the fifteen minute short film and the Super Bowl commercial.

AM: What else is coming up for you?

RS: I did a movie with a wonderful director/writer, John Suits. I've done a couple of movies with him. The first one is called 'Family Of Four' with Alexandria Paul playing my wife. She was in 'Baywatch.' She is a beautiful woman who is a great Actress.
I did another movie called 'A Numbers Game' with Steven Bauer, written and directed by James Van Alden.

AM: Is it a drama or action?

RS: It's a dark comedy. It should be out late this summer. Steven Bauer was a lot of fun.

AM: Are you auditioning now?

RS: Oh yeah, I am always looking for the next big job. Hopefully one is right around the corner!


To learn more about Robert Stephenson go to his Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=511548967&ref=name&__a=1#!/profile.php?id=580002066&ref=ts



No comments:

Post a Comment